Wednesday 25 February 2015

It's quiet around here...

Oops,

Okay, so my plan to blog regularly seems to have gone on a slight hiatus. In my defence, I had only phone access to the Internet for a week, but have been back in the land of the wi-fi since Friday, so I really should have posted by now.  Bad blogger.

So what have I been up to?

Well, on the 13th I had a super blessed day.
I had already booked the day off work on account of travelling up to Leeds to go to the Youth 2000 retreat (more on that later). Consequently, when, on Wednesday, I was invited to an assessment day on the Friday morning, I was able to say yes without having to worry about trying to get shifts swapped or getting someone to cover my shift or anything like that. I could just say yes! (The assessment day was at a super exciting place, but I'm still no closer to knowing how it went or whether anything will come of it, so I'm going to stay quiet about it. If nothing else comes from it, at least I got a free pen and pencil!).

Right, interview over, and heading home to pack to go to Leeds/Manchester (the former for Youth 2000, the latter to visit a friend). The original plan had been to drive up with a couple of my friends - the lovely Bekah (she of the beautiful sunrise analogy) and Ari. Bekah was going to drive, so since I had no idea when I'd be back from London, I suggested they should just head up by themselves and I'd drive up by myself and join them when I could.

Turned out they were running late! So it all worked out perfectly and the three of us headed north together.

Pretty good for a Friday 13th, right?

Friday to Sunday were spent in Leeds at the retreat, on which I will try to remember to write a post later. For now I'll just say that it was an incredibly blessed time where I got to see many lovely people again, and meet some fantastic new people.

The time in Manchester was wonderful.  We had a couple of day trips out to visit old friends and a day wandering around the centre. I made very successful gluten/lactose free pancakes (which were yummy) and from this recipe and even showed our friend's little sister how to make real pancakes that didn't just come out of a bottle! I told her that that is the cheating way of doing it.

Since coming back I seem to have spent a large amount of time baking!
I made a sticky toffee cake for Ellen (one of my sister)'s birthday, which came out rather successfully in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head/face (aren't silicon cake moulds wonderful things!)




This was a bit of an experiment, as the recipe I used is for a traybake, so I wasn't totally sure how it would translate to a cake cake. Since it is now almost all gone, I guess the answer is, pretty good!

I also made cupcakes, which were then decorated. All of the above was done with the assistance of my 4 year old niece Elsa... I mean Rosie.

Turns out she's really good at beating eggs! I corrected her fork holding the first time, but she did it all herself, and she did it totally herself the second time. She also made really good hearts for some of the cupcakes, whereas I spent my time making an Anna and an Elsa.



(Yes, she looks like a minion, no she's not supposed to be, otherwise Rosie will get very cross...)
I also apologise for the quality of the photos, and promise that I shall attempt to be better at remembering to use my good camera in the future instead of just going for my phone...

Anyway, I think that's enough for now, so I shall leave you with a link to my current favourite recipe book. Cake Angels is a lovely book full of all sorts of yummy gluten, wheat and dairy free cake/traybake/cupcake recipes. Yummy yummy yummy.

(I definitely need to try out more of the recipes soon!)

So how has your past week been? Do you have any good gluten free baking recipes to reccomend? Let me know in the comments below!



No comments:

Post a Comment